Have you considered breastfeeding? Will it be something that will fit into your life? Is there more to it than just feeding the baby? Consider these facts.
Breastfeeding Advantages for Mom:
- Helps uterus return to normal size.
- May experience gradual weight loss.
- Economical and convenient.
- Emotionally satisfying; adds to the bonding process.
- Protects iron stores due to delay of menstruation
- Decreases risk of breast cancer.
- Decreases risk of heart disease and osteoporosis.
Breastfeeding Advantages for Baby:
- Colostrum helps prevent jaundice.
- Encourages better jaw and tooth development.
- Easy to digest.
- Soothing for a stressful baby.
- Antibodies provide protective immunities.
- Allergies are less likely.
- Less constipation, diarrhea and gas.
Baby decides how often and how much to eat. Start as early as possible, the newborn is most alert immediately after birth. Be sure to feed your baby on demand and not wait until the baby is so upset that it is difficult for the baby to latch on. Keep your baby close and offer the breast often (at least every two hours). No artificial nipples or supplements should be given to breastfed babies. Try and commit to breastfeeding for 21 days, this will allow you to experience all the aspects of breastfeeding as it becomes an established relationship with your baby.
Click here for information on our Private Tours.