Water Birth: Benefits for Mom and Baby
Creating a birth plan that is right for you is a personal choice and one that should be honored and respected by the medical staff you chose to work with. At the Birth Center Stone Oak, we support your birth plan, including natural water birth. The theory behind a water birth is that because the baby is already in the amniotic fluid sac, birthing in a similar environment is gentler for baby and less stressful for mom. Read on to learn more about the benefits of water births for mother and child.
Benefits for Mom:
- Warm water is soothing, comforting, and relaxing.
- Submersion in a warm water tub has been shown to provide significant pain relief.
- Immersion in water can help lower high blood pressure caused by anxiety.
- Increased relaxation allows women to dilate more quickly resulting in shorter labor on average.
- The buoyancy of the water can relieve the mother of some body weight, making her more comfortable.
- Giving birth in water reduces medical interventions including C-sections, episiotomies, and the need for stitches.
Benefits for Baby:
- A water birth provides an environment similar to the amniotic sac.
- A water birth also eases the stress of birth, thus creating a more peaceful delivery.
The water birthing experience is very safe and promotes a comforting environment for both mom and baby. Contact the Birth Center Stone Oak for information on having a natural water birth in San Antonio.