Importance of Childbirth Education for Partners
Raising a child is a huge responsibility, and we know that it can be intimidating for new parents. This is why we encourage parents to partake in childbirth education to make the process more familiar, and consequently, easier for them. It is common for soon-to-be-mothers to want to partake in childbirth education classes, but partners can greatly benefit from classes too! Read on to learn just why childbirth education is incredibly important for partners.
Are Classes Really Necessary?
Of course, you shouldn’t feel obligated to take classes. But they do exist to help you throughout your partner’s pregnancy and can only benefit you. So it’s highly encouraged, yes!
Education answers a lot of common questions mothers and partners might have about pregnancy and child care. By taking these classes, you feel more involved in the process and it alleviates some of the anxiety that comes with such monumental changes.
What Is Taught During Childbirth Education?
There are different classes for different stages of pregnancy and new parenthood. At Birth Center Stone Oak, we have classes on childbirth, breastfeeding, newborn care, understanding VBACs, and more! You can also find education classes on these topics:
During this phase, education includes:
- Importance of prenatal care and nutrition
- Effects of pre-existing medical conditions on pregnancy
- Effects of habits like smoking and alcohol drinking on pregnancy
- Counseling regarding how you can ensure a safe pregnancy
Once you’re pregnant, the child education focuses on aspects of pregnancy like:
- Changes in your body while you’re pregnant and how to deal with it
- How to deal with common health problems during pregnancy
- Alarm signs and when to be worried
- How to prepare for labor and what to expect
- Pain management tools such as massage and birth balls
- Changes to your body during the postpartum period
- How to care for yourself and your baby in the initial days
- Education about postpartum depression and how to deal with it
- Education about child spacing and family planning
- Common issues in the postpartum period regarding your child and how to deal with them
Why Should Partners Partake In Health Education
At Birth Center Stone Oak, we believe that parenting is a joint responsibility, which is why taking childbirth education is something they should do together, as a team.
3 reasons why we encourage partners to take classes:
- It equips both parents with confidence to handle the whole ordeal of childbirth and taking care of the baby
- It makes them feel more prepared since they get a better idea of what to expect
- Partners that partake in childbirth education feel a part of the process because they have something they can contribute to. Plus, they get a better idea of their partner’s needs and how to take care of them
To learn more about childbirth education opportunities here at Birth Center Stone Oak, feel free to call us at (210) 481-7549 or send us a message for more information.
Leave A Comment