“Water Birth” is such a buzz term but how much do you know about it? It is a practice that is widely used in other countries and is growing in popularity here in the U.S. The second word “birth” is a little misleading as submersion in water can be beneficial in all phases of labor. Here’s why!
1. Helps Ease Pain – The water seems to reduce stress-related hormones, allowing the mother’s body to produce endorphins which serve as pain-inhibitors. You will hear from many women that once they were in the tub the pains of labor seemed to fade
2. Offers Better Movement and Positioning – The effect of buoyancy lessens a mother’s body weight, allowing free movement and new positioning with little effort.
3. Lessens Chance of Laceration – Water causes the perineum to become more elastic and relaxed, reducing the incidence and severity of tearing and the need for an episiotomy and repair.
4. Can Lower Blood Pressure – Water can help lower blood pressure by reducing anxiety through relaxation.
5. Reduces Stress on Baby – Water birth creates a less stressful entry into the world for the baby, similar to that of its amniotic sac.
Click here for information on our Private Tours.
Leave A Comment